Sunday, May 4, 2008

Revive the Penang Ferries



Have you been to Penang? Even better, have you taken the ferry?

When I was a kid, Penang was not only an entreport, but also a duty-free island. We kids were asked by our parents to be small-time smugglers! However, of all the things, we only smuggled shirts by wearing extras and hiding away sundries like Colgate. The Custome Officers on Butterworth checked adults thoroughly, but usually let loose on the kids!

The map above shows how the Penang Island was connected via ferry to the Mainland town of Butterworth. The Mainland part of Penang used to be called Province Wellesley (PW), a term now overtaken by Seberang Perai (SP), which RTM at times ignorantly equate it with the name of the town called Prai!

Ferry used to be the only means of getting across the Penang Channel. The ferry is double-decked. The upper deck is for pedestrians who walk to and fro between the ferry and bus stop. The bottom deck is meant for motored vehicles including the lorries, cars and motorcycles, and also bicycles. Later part of the history, a second wharf was constructed for each side of the channels, with the upper deck meant for cars also; and thus another type of ferry was introduced, with both decks for motored vehicles only.


I was told that our Penang ferry modelled upon the Hoog Kong equivalent, but I have never taken the Hong Kong one to confirm this.


I enjoyed taking the ferry both as a pedestrian as well as a motorcyclist. There used to be a small shop on the upper deck, and the 20-cent ice-cream was my favorite!

Lately, I have tried taking the ferry too, just to reminisce.

The breeze, the short break after a tiring traffic jam and the walking-up-and-down the decks would have make one happy with travelling on the ferry.

However, there are three problems about choosing the ferry over the Penang Bridge:
  1. You are not sure about the timing of the ferry, you may have to wait a long time as it not only depends on the density of the traffic, but also the number of ferries in service at taht particulat time.
  2. For pedestrians, connecting means of transport after taking the ferry is also a headache as buses were not regular, taxi is expensive and trishaw-beca was not popular. I am not sure if this problem has improved with the introduction of Rapid Penang, can someone advise me on this?
  3. For cars, you may have to face the long queue waiting for the ferry, I am also not sure how bad is this problem now.

For regular travellors who know the above problems, proper scheduling would save a lot of time.

I know of my kampungmate, Mr Low the accountant, who is taking the ferry every day. He must have some clues. Hope to hear from him too.

We voted in the new Gomen (I played my part as I have voted for the State Deputy Speaker), let's hope our Guan Eng and his team can do something on improving the ferry service, while waiting for the dilly-dally vengeful decision on whether to build the 2nd Link and how much should UEM profit from it...

Related links for reading:

http://www.penangport.com.my/english/facilities/ferry_cruise.htm

http://anilnetto.com/2008/05/03/bridge-near-shanghai-works-out-cheaper-per-km-than-second-penang-bridge/

3 comments:

Sunny Tneoh said...

Dear Swee Hiang,
nicely written blogs and the photoes.Wah nice to reminisce.
But for a start to run a decent service we need a fare increase .Some years ago Lim Kit Siang was up in arms about a minimal fare increase.To be realistic 10km of distance , should at least be RM2 each way or at least RM2 return, then the service will improve.How much does a 10km ride on a kereta sapu cost.
What is wrong with the ferry carrying passengers to the Bayan Baru(free trade zone & Queensbay mall etc) and another to Tanjung Bungah directly for a few ringgit more.This way we can really be like Hong Kong.

Just my 2 sen worth
ShenJen

Pek Wei said...

Hmmm, talking about taking ferry to Penang... very nostalgic.
I still remember my dad drove the whole family to Penang with his no air-cond car. Imagine we had the natural breeze throughout the journey from KL to Penang! My hair could just stay on without any gel after few hours drive! Hehe..
I definitely agree to have this Penang Ferries carry on as it is something that resembles Penang. SOmething to be proud of.....

familyman said...

Talk about mt first ride of Penang ferries, that was way back to 1971, when I was in Remove class, having our school trip then.My first memory was that big machine can carry not only passengers, but also cars, trucks and Buses.

I could remember the adults walked very fast, and we the first timers would like to get our money worth by being the last to leave.

FYI, I stayed in a small town named Simpang Ampat Tasek,in Province Wellesley then. Taking ferry was not a neccesity to me but more of holiday ride. The 20cts ice scream that Poh mentioned was not for him alone but shared by few of his buddies, the Simpang Ampat gangs.You know that time, 1 got only 15cts from my mum a day as pocket money, 10cts went to the Bus fare( to and flo), and balance 5 cts for a meal of Charbeehoon.
Teck Heng